Friday, June 30, 2017

Now That's What I Call Faith

Hey Everyone.

In my studies of Deuteronomy, I am in chapter 3.  To understand what is going on here we have to back up to Numbers 32.  If you were to read that chapter, you would see that after conquering Sihon the Amorite and Og of Bashan, three Israelite groups, wanted that land, rather than the a piece of the Promised Land on the other side of the Jordan.  These were the tribes of Reuben and Gad and half of the tribe of Manasseh.  The tribes had large herds of livestock and it was a land very suitable for grazing, so they asked for that land to be their inheritance rather than some other piece of land on the other side of the Jordan River.

Initially, Moses accused them of discourage the people and of trying to get out of the military service that would be necessary for the conquest of the Promised Land. (Num. 32:6-15). He even called them a "brood of sinners." (v.14).  But they responded that they would build fortifications for their wives, children and livestock and then go off to battle with the rest of the Israelites to help in the conquest of the Promised Land.

This brings us to Deut. 3:12-20, where these three tribes receive their allotment from God, then the able-bodied men set off with the rest of Israel to do battle, not knowing how long it will take. Now, I have to give these men credit.  My mind would be filled with questions and concerns, like: "If all of the able-bodied men are gone, including myself, who is going to watch out for my wife,my children, my house, my livestock?" or "What about the Edomites, Ammonites or Moabites,won't our families and belongings be easy prey for them?" or "What will happen to my family if I am killed in battle?" Honestly, the only answer that you can give to these questions is, "God is going to look out for my family and belongings, and God will protect me in battle."  This idea is easy to think and say, but in practical reality, knowing that non-able-bodied men and teenage boys and women would be the only visible protection against the armies of other nations would give me second thoughts.  But the men of Reuben, Gad and Manasseh had a great faith because, not only did they go, it was their idea.

They return home in Joshua 22, after seven years of helping their brothers fight for the Promised Land.  They return to their homes, wives, children and livestock, having kept their word and having pleased the Lord. In their absence, God protected what was theirs. Likewise, we can trust God, in every situation, and act on that faith, like the men of Reuben, Gad and Manasseh.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment