Friday, November 20, 2015

The Mature

Hey everyone.

It has been a while since I have written anything, but I am hopeful that I can be a bit more consistent in the future.  Any way, I recently did a lesson for the teen disciples in New Jersey where we looked specifically at scriptures that talked to the young, so that we could talk about what God called the young to be like. We had a great discussion, and it was certainly appropriate to where they were at in their walk with God.  However, it started me thinking about my own walk with God.  I am not young in age, nor am I young in the faith, having been a disciple for 28 years.  So what then does God say to the mature?

I realized that we talk a lot about how God called many of his people when they were very young. Samuel, David, Mary and the apostles were all likely quite young when called. However, Abraham was 75 when God called him and Moses wasn't really ready at 40, so God called him at 80.  Clearly God has a plan for us to serve and accomplish his mission no matter what our age.  So, then, what does God say to the mature?  I pulled out my concordance and looked up the word "mature," and this is what I learned:

Luke 8:14 - In the Parable of the Sower the seed that falls among the thorns stands for those who are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures.  Jesus says here that "they do not mature."  So the seed in the thorny soil may represent those who are mature in terms of age, but who have not matured spiritually. So what then are the mature called to do here? 
  • The mature need to learn to let go of life's worries.  I Peter 5:7 - "Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you."  Being mature becomes a faith issue.  How much do you trust god to take care of you issues?
  • The mature are not caught up in riches or pleasure.  We who are mature in age are more likely to have money and have a greater understanding of what that money can do.  So we are more likely to be choked by it that the young who don't have any. Better that we mature should set an example for the young on how to be spiritual with our money rather than worried about it.
I Corinthians 2:6-7 - "We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.  No, we declare God's wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began."  So the mature are supposed to be wise.  But our wisdom is spiritual, rather than worldly, in nature.  So where do we get this wisdom?  God shows it to us. Look later on at verse 13: "This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words."  We, the mature, should be able to correctly handle God's word to answer questions and guide the young.  The mature are called to know their Bible.

Ephesians 4:11-13 tells us that God has appointed some to apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers to equip God's people for works of service.  Those in these roles have several tasks given them by God.  One of these tasks is to help God's people become mature.  It follows then that if I want to be mature, I would give ear to those God has appointed to help me be mature.  In other words, the mature listen.

There are more scriptures for the mature.  I will get to them another day.   
Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment